The Principal Database Architect provides technical expertise for Oracle database analysis, design, development, implementation, information storage and retrieval, and data flow. This is not an Administrator role.
This role is responsible for developing a database structure that fits into the overall platform architecture of the Enterprise SaaS system and has to make tradeoffs among data volumes, number of users, logical and physical distribution, response times, retention rules, security and domain controls. This role develops relational and/or object-oriented databases, database parser software, and database loading software. Key to this role is articulating and projecting requirements for database administration and design.
Formulate recommendations for, and analysis and evaluation of systems improvements, optimizations, development, and/or maintenance efforts. Translates a set of requirements and data into a usable document by creating or recreating ad hoc queries, scripts, and macros; updates existing queries, creates new ones to manipulate data into a master file; and builds complex systems using queries, tables, Open Database Connectivity and database storage as well as retrieval using Cloud methodologies.
- Define database physical structure and functional capabilities, security, high availability, back-up, and recovery specifications
- Identify database consolidation opportunity and help define roadmap, develop approach & implementation plan in partnership with Data Architecture, Database Services & Application teams.
- Lead database segmentation, data model consolidation and environment optimization efforts and guide DBA team on these efforts.
- Recommend end-to-end database hosting solutions for all environments. Lead database capacity planning and maintain DB hosting/utilization related metrics.
- Define database performance best practices, partitioning and indexing strategy.
- Define database design standards and offer consulting to software engineering teams on designs for performance.
- Define database encryption, tokenization, masking and information lifecycle management solutions related to privacy, storage, compression and archiving.
- Design DBaaS (Database-as-a-Service) and optimized database architecture for on-demand scale and automated provisioning.
- Keep abreast of industry knowledge, combined with comprehensive, practical experience and knowledge in the data management and strategy domain.
- Understand the document model in addition to OLTP databases.
- Assist in query and system tuning and monitors performance bottlenecks as needed.
- Develop/maintain relationships with DB platform vendors and stays current with of roadmap and solutions.
- Conducts PoCs on new DB platforms, technology and tools in collaboration with data/engineering/hosting operations.
- Enable DevOps (CI/CD) through common database deployment, automation and lifecycle management.
- Lead and work with data modeling/architects to define physical data models and database designs.
- Support product architecture, infrastructure architecture and engineering teams on actionable database architecture, design and development practices.
- Partner with other business technology teams championing priorities and potential reuse through personal influence and persuasion.
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience in database administration performance design/tuning, backup, recovery, high availability and security.
- Co-located skills are a must, with IaaS experience a strong plus.
- Minimum 4-5 years’ experience in database architecture and design.
- Hands on experience with Oracle database platform and Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Expertise in automated storage and grid management.
- Expert in system and SQL tuning. Highly skilled in trouble shooting performance related production issues.
- Understands document model and OLTP databases.
- Knowledge of how OLTP db moves to distributed file systems within Hadoop using HIVE and HBASE is important.
- Relevant experience in doing capacity planning.
- Some hands on experience on any appliance like Oracle Exadata, Netezza or Teradata is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Hadoop/NoSQL or other emerging Big Data Platforms.
- Demonstrated capability developing, maintaining relationship with DB vendors with respect to current product offerings, future roadmap and hardware solutions.
- Capable of providing thought leadership and abstract thinking.
- The ability to quickly understand and incorporate new technologies.
- Minimum 12 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Information Technology
- Certification: Oracle certified: DBA/Professional/Master DBA